Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chiquita Bonita

Sayulita, Mexico

Walking down the narrow street I finally took my eyes away from the dress in the store front window and saw something at the end of the road. I quickly pulled out my camera but my battery had died and I hoped to squeeze out at least one last photo. No luck. Then I rushed my friend Jan into taking some pictures. A little girl was rolling pale pastel yellow paint up and down the lower half of the wall outside of a restaurant. The poor little thing couldn't reach any higher! We studied her for a while. Her movements were slow, controlled and even. Tiny little splashes of paint mottled her violet colored dress. She turned around and gave us a big smile. "Ola nina, como estas?" She didn't respond but shyly walked over, continuing to smile. I knelt down and while quietly giggling, pointed at the paint spots on her face where she then ran to a tap. Looking up at us when she finished I noticed a couple of stubborn marks which I reached out to wipe off. We said, "adios" while she watched us slowly walk away. I should really learn how to speak Spanish...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montezuma, Costa Rica, 2005

Montezuma, Costa Rica, 2005
I Won't Let Anything Happen to You...